View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
To do this, rather than reducing my calories that could be detrimental to my growth and development as a teenager, I'd burn those couple of pounds I'd gained by doing some high intensity cardio, whilst eating at my maintenance calorie level.

However, I've just thought, wouldn't that be the same thing as a calorie deficit through food? Could doing this have the same detrimental effects as the dropping calories through my diet?
Couldn't have answered your question any better than you did yourself. A calorie deficit means calories out > calories in. Having read a couple of your posts I think I have a decent idea of what you want to gain from lifting.

An idea for you would be to find your maintenance calories, train hard. Slowly add in extra calories (say 150 at a time?), stay on those calories for a while and look at what's happening on the scale, in the mirror and in the weight room. It would seem to me that this way you would inevitably find a calorie intake at which you do not get 'fatter' but still gain muscle mass and strength. You'll gain a little fat, that's unavoidable. But if you gain enough muscle mass with that fat I'll promise you you'll actually look leaner. Think of it like this.

Someone who weighs 150 lbs with 15 lbs of fat on him has a bodyfat percentage of 10%.

Someone who weighs 200lbs with 20 lbs of fat on him has that same bodyfat percentage, but also has 50lbs more muscle to go with that fat.

If you track your progress carefully, which I'm sure you can do. You will find a way to maximise your strength and muscle gains and keep the fat gains so low that you will only look leaner and leaner as a result of more muscle mass.

Patience is key here. Changes in weight and muscle mass do not happen overnight and training like this requires quite a bit more precision and elegance than the good ol' bulk & cut, but can be just as effective if done right!
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote