View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: whey & fish oil
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Taste would be what's added, and that would be fine. Just not a very tasty thing on its own. Like soy sauce (not the sweetened crap though) - that's probably my only exception. Not bad, if a bit like "liquid salt" and not all that much else...

Just checked some beef snags we have sitting in the fridge for barbequeing - close to 20g of protein* per 100g, and they're about $5 a kilo (not the cheapest out there, but they do taste good), so I guess that's $1 for 40g. Not bad, considering our dollar is still crap compared to the pound, heh.

So it might pay to look at some more butcher's offerings, especially if there's a macros breakdown, and even better an ingredient list. Dunno. Depends on the cost of meat and meaty stuffs around there, of course...

* Er, well not quite. So more like 36g for a dollar, -ish.

Another thing to consider (other than iron and b12, which might not be too much of a concern) is getting enough of all the essential amino acids. I don't recall what soy does or doesn't have, but I do seem to remember being told you had to combine various vegetarian things in order to get "a complete protein". Sounds like a lot of hassle if you ask me, and could be something to keep an eye on.

Last edited by Dray; 06-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote