Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I like what you saying about deadlifting and have been trying to do this for the past couple months, but I don't feel like I really have the hang of it.

I've been pulling the slack out of the bar by pulling myself down into position, however I have a problem with initiating the pull. I feel like soemthing is off right from the get go sometimes and if I start the lift badly, it doesn't get any better although I can usually just muscle it up.

On warmups, I am pulling myself down and often the bar just pops up off the ground and I'm suddenly lifting it, which might be OK I think, but it doesn't feel like a smooth motion, it feels like I sort of catch the weight at my shins and then stand up. Like it's two parts, not one smooth lift.

Then, when the weight gets heavier, I am sort of expecting it to pop up, but it doesn't and I am have to "start" pulling it and it kind of just grinds off the floor. My start is so slow it feels like. But if I just get set and rip it, it seems like I end up using more back than legs.

I like what you said about getting the tension, then ripping it, but I aparently have trouble with actually doing that so I wonder if there's a cue for this or is it just a lot more practice getting the feel of when to start the lift?

Hope that made sense, you can check my log for plenty of videos, but I don't think they will help as this is more in how the lift feels than in how how it looks. I think they "look" fine.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
The first time I did it I was suprised at how much tension it created as well. Instead of pulling up, just try to create tension in your body. Get everything tight with just a little tension on the bar, THEN rip it off the floor.