Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
deadlifts?
Not too bad, but I do have a suggestion. You have a pretty good setup, but as you start to lift your butt raises some. In your case this is happening because you are slowly adding more tension until the bar comes off the ground. This is an issue that comes up a lot with the deadlift, and tends to get worse when the weight goes up. It will also keep you from pulling as much as you could if you make some changes.

You are creating tension before the bar actually starts to move, and this is actually a GOOD thing, but you need to go about it a little differently. Instead of raising your hips as you put force into the bar, do the opposite. Start with your hips high, then start to build tension as you LOWER your hips into position. It should feel like you are using the bar to pull your hips down into position. Once you actually get your hips down to where they need to be (not too low, but not too high) you should have a ton of tension through your whole body, especially in your hips and hamstrings. As this point you should RIP the bar off the ground in a single explosive movement, leading the whole upwards motion with your head. Your head goes first, and the bar just goes along for the ride.

The first time my wife used the technique I described above she immediately said that she didn't like it because it hurt her hamstrings. I told her that this was because it was the first time she had ever used her hamstrings during a deadlift!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote