BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I actually appluad the second effort to get the bar moving Big J. It speaks volumes that you wanted it bad. Ya, its a huge fucking drag you didn't get it, but its fixable. I think you are starting with your hips too low. A deadlift is not a squat. All deadlifters are not created equal in the starting position either. Next time, start with the hips higher. When you think they are good, then begin the pull being tight as can be, pulling the bar towards you as you sit back on those heels. Once I am in position, I roll backwards on my heels a bit as I hold the bar and then pull.

Curious - have you ever tried sumo's? You just might be better suited for them, based on how you pull now.
Thanks Jim.
I agree with you somewhat about the hip issue. I'm really not sure where they need to be to be honest. After taking a couple months off from deads because I was causing chronic injury I made some form changes. I identified one of my problems was my shoulders being too far over the bar, causing me to put much of the load on my lower back. So in an effort to get my shoulders just a bit in front of the bar, I am dropping my hips when I set up. Where before I didn't do this. So good eye.
Any suggestions on how I shall proceed? I can attempt to find a happy medium between my shoulders being at a proper position over the bar and the position of my hips being up higher during the set up.

The other issue you raised is tightness. I think posterior tightness is also a big issue that I need to work on. I think this is also a big issue with my lack of explosivness out of the hole when squatting. So again, I say good eye.

Sumo, I have never really tried them. I will try them next week. Thanks for your advice Jim. You gave me a lot to work with!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote