Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Personally, I lift both raw and equipped, and both are completely different. I don't even treat them like the same lift. For both lifts I start slowly, focusing on sequencing (Butt back, knees out, etc.) but about 60% down things change. For a raw the decent is still slow and controlled, but about 60% of the way down I drop hard. The feeling is that I'm dropping my torso between my legs. You HAVE to maintain your back arch. You say that you get below parallel fairly easy, which tells me that you aren't maximizing your back arch. This probably has a lot to do with feeling like you aren't getting any pop out of the hole.

The thought I use to maximize my back arch is to face my belt towards the ground. The more my belt and my gut face the ground, the more arch I have. It creates a massive stretch in the posterior chain and definitely aids in getting out of the hole.

A squat is very much like a golf swing to me. If you set up correct and do everything right in the first few inches of the swing, everything else will just happen effortlessly. If you start a squat right, then your practice, strength, and instincts will kick in and everything else will just happen.

Of course, we can give much better input once you're able to get that video.

Last edited by Soldier; 06-02-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote