View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Hello,

Maybe later this summer I may have time to start training properly so I may want to train with the beginner version ( only one assistance lift).

My best lifts are: Bench 230lb, squat 240lb, press 140lb and deadlift 350lb. My question is where to start and how to progress? Do I increase 5lb every week with both rep schemes (5x5 and 5x1)? Do I cycle the weight when I hit plateau or something else?

Sincerely

Niko
Hi Niko,

I'm not sure if the author would recommend the same thing, but I will try and help.

I would ease into the singles work. Start about 85% and add weight when they feel manageable. This might not sound helpful, but after a few weeks of singles you will start to know what I mean.

Do not cycle the weight. Each week go in and hit your singles. Add weight when you can.

I would put the idea of plateaus out of your mind. This is a different style of training, one where the mental challenge is just as difficult as the physical. One week 5 singles will feel impossible. The next manageable. You play things by ear each workout, adding 5 pounds after days when the weight feels easier.

The first couple months on a program like this are interesting. After several weeks of adaptation you should start to pick up confidence and steam.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote