View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Years ago, I made it a personal Challenge to do 95 X 5 from a seated press at a 90 Degree Lifting Bench...

{The Gym had a Hodgepodge of Dumbbells. The 95-150 Pound Dumbbells on that rack (There were two different sets of Dumbbells) were the old style with solid Cast Iron Spheres on the ends.}

I'd witnessed someone that I didn't care for hit 90 X 5—really impressive with the Ball-Ended Dumbbells—and I was determined to surpass his feat.

He was a Bodybuilder.

{For those who think I'm "Anti-Powerlifting"...}

Well, it took me 3 or 4 months.

At first I was making Progress, but eventually I stalled at about 85 X 5.

I had never heard of Deloads or Resets. All I knew was that I needed to get off the Seated Dumbbell Presses for a 6-8 week cycle or 2.

I hated to quit so close to my goal.

I got 90 X 4...

Then I retrogressed to 90 X 3; 90 X 2...

Somehow I got to 95 ( I think that I may have cheated and moved on before I ever got 90 X 5.

I see—sawed between 95 X 1 and 95 X 3 for 2 or 3 weeks.

One day I got 90 X 4. I smelled blood in the water—and knew that I needed to stop Dumbbell Presses soon.

God alone knows how long I sat at the Sticking point and Strained with every muscle in my body—but eventually I got the 5th rep...

And I haven't done any heavy Dumbbell Presses since.

{That would be sometime in 1987...}

Not that I'm permanently turned of by them or anything.

I found them rather fun.

Tried to get on a low (knee-high) bench to see if I could bench press 100 Pound Dumbbells for reps once.

Working by myself, I found it impossible to get both of them into position at one time...

And since it was just on a whim, I never requested a spot...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote