Originally Posted by BendtheBar
Can you tell us about some of the mistake you made your first year or two of lifting.
Man, I don't think I can even list'em all! lol As a beginner, I was just very very eager to be my best. So here's a list format.
1. Over training - I would go to the gym and spend hours and hours there when I should have been getting in, doing work, and getting out.
2. Too much volume - I would do 25-30 sets per workout. All reps were in double digits
3. Zero carbs - Would spend those hours in the gym and only eat chicken breast and salad. lol
4. No Deadlifts - I grew to hate Deadlift from doing them so much from football so when I begin my own journey and just didn't do them. Big mistake.
5. Too many supplements - I was spending about 400$ every 5 or 6 weeks on any and everything I could
6. Not enough compound movements - I would go in the gym and do the weird stuff that I saw other guys doing. Thinking that would give me the edge.
7. Cardio'ed out - I was doing like an hour of high intensity cardio. Stairs, sprinting, etc. Pretty sure I burned up a lot of muscle.
8. No protein powder - I thought it would make me fat based on past experiences. LMBO
9. Didn't use heavy weight - I had that "reps for tone" type of thinking
10. Abs - I would train abs everyday and still only had a semi 4 pack
Thank God for growth!!