Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #467
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspersson View Post
Hi beast!
Welcome to MAB.

Quote:
gained 20 kg to my squat in just 3 weeks
Excellent progress.

Quote:
Do you approve of high frequency training with incorporated deloads or will i burn out in a matter of months.
That depends on the structure. The more frequently you train, the less daily volume you should train with. There is a balance, and it can take a lot of time and work to find that perfect balance.

I am a frequency guy, but found that of all the lifts, frequent floor deadlifting provided the least amount of benefit. So if deadlift frequency is used, it is better to rotate between things like rack pulls, power shrugs and deadlifts.

Quote:
Can I make progress for, lets say 6 months?
I've used frequency training for the last 30 months. You can run it non-stop as long as the structure is working for you. It's all about making adjustments.

Quote:
Jim wendler states in his book that you should use the program with caution, whats your thoughts?
It definitely takes an intelligent lifter to run higher frequency training without a coach. There is a tendency to do too much.

Regarding the program listed, is that something you created, or something from his book?

Quote:
how do different exercise frequency affect athletes who are closer to their genetic potential than these athletes were?
At some point lifters will need to start training about 85%. This usually becomes a necessity after the intermediate stages of lifting, when progress slows dramatically.

I believe at this point frequency is beneficial because it provides form practice under heavy loads, works to strengthen ligaments and tendons, CNS, etc.

Beginning to intermediate lifters need more rep work, so they can master form, build muscle and create a decent strength base.

I for one believe if you are after strength, a good plan to follow is:

--Beginner - Full body style workout
--Intermediate - Upper/Lower with moderate volume, training for reps between 65 to 80% for the most part.

The intermediate stage should be run as long as possible, and milked until a lifter is brutally strong. After this point a transition to 85% work can begin. It should start slow, and evolve based on needs.

Squats, I "could" train as much as 6x per week if I wanted to. I just found little benefit beyond 2-3 heavy sessions per week. Bench, 2x sessions a week seemed to be a sweet spot, but 3x a week could be done with some form of HLM rotation.

Deadlift I found that one week 90%, one week variation worked best for me.

Working over 90% frequently did nothing for me/

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote