View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

While I don't care to take sides, I do see that Lyle is stating that it's darn near impossible to double your squat in 6 months.

I squatted for the first time in college in November, 1986. This was my first serious go-around with weights other than my concrete set at home, and I never squatted.

My first real workout on squats was (give or take) about 135 for reps, probably no more than 4 to 6. I remember these times because I was pathetically weak. My first bench press was with 95 pounds and I hit failure at about rep 4.

I looked extremely dangerous under the bar - like I would kill myself. It was then that my future mentor noticed my foolishness, and began giving me squat tips and advice.

I fell in love with the squat, performed it about twice a week, and by April of '87 (about 5 to 6 months), I was hitting 315 for reps on the squat. From '87 to the end of 1988, my squat progressed to 365 for reps. I then entered the military.

So, I can say with confidence that my squat doubled in less than 6 months. I had a good coach that taught me lessons about hip drive, etc. that I still think about on every squat set coming out of the hole.

I understand that I am the exception, and not the rule. I doubled my squat in a short period of time. I also put on quite a bit of LBM during this time.

But to back Lyle, in would be nearly impossible to gain 33 pounds of muscle in 15 weeks. I have not seen Zach's before picture, but I assume he was underweight. I don't believe that as a body normalizes its weight that all the gains are muscle. There has to be more issues as play when underweight, such as a lessened bone density, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote