View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
A straightforward question, asked from idle curiosity.

Standing DB press seems such a basic movement, yet I never see anyone doing it. I've been trying them recently as a way of getting back into pressing. They seem a little kinder on my elbow and shoulder problems.

This got me wondering how many people on here can clean two 45kg/100lb DB from the floor and standing strict press them overhead.

If so, how many reps?

When my shoulder recovers this a bit more, I'll have a go, but I'm by no means hopeful.

hah, this reminds me of the introduction to Pavel's book Beyond Bodybuilding:

"We go to a bodybuilding expo every year. Last few years we ran a challenge at our booth. A one-arm military press with an eighty-eight pound kettlebell. The rules are simple: the fist must be lower than the chin at the start of the press and the knees must remain locked. You don't even have to clean the bell because I do not want any of the 'this is all technique' whining. We'll hand it to you if you insist.

Let us face it, pressing eighty-eight pounds overhead is not a feat of strength. Definitely not for a two hundred-fifty pound man. Yet the overwhelming majority of the big sissies just can't do it. And that is the ones who at least try. Most are plain scared. I call out to the passing muscleheads: 'Do we have a man here?' Most flinch and keep walking. Whenever my challenge was ignored I would smile sweetly and say, 'Sir, I understand. Not all forms of exercise are right for all people. Perhaps you would like to check out Jazzercise over there?'"
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote