View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #634
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work Josh! Really happy to hear your back is doing well and pulling is feeling better! I've learned that for whatever reason, deads can be so different week to week. Obviously if you pull max or have a really heavy session, doing it week in and week out will take its toll. But I've had normal training and then one week something I can do 7 reps for is glued to the floor. I try not to let it get me down as next week it'll fly right up! I also hated 5/3/1 for deads, all those top set reps sucked and didn't work for me. Long ramble done ! Keep smashing big man!!!!!!
Thanks Hunter. Yeah, I know deads are a touchy beast. I just want my 4pps back! I think I am going to have to program in some modulation from week to week. I'm tossing around a few ideas right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Slow and easy is the way to go Josh!
Thanks KD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I think once you adjust to the form changes and listen to your body that 385 and more will be back, and good to hear your happy and OK with it for now. I like the routine, as I have found squatting after deads to be awesome.
Thanks squatter. I'm sure you're right. I too like the squatting after deads. Great way to destroy yourself! Deadlifting used to be my strongest lift, I want that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
Keep plugging josh - strong benching.

What form adjustments and mistakes were you making?
Thanks ld. The changes I made:
1.) When I was setting up, before I was putting my shoulders way over the bar. So it was almost like my chest was over the bar which took away from the leg drive and emphasized my lower back. It was a very inefficient way to pull.
So now I'm basically barely putting the top of my shoulders in front of the bar. This makes the pull more efficent and makes me get my butt back and down more.
2.)I started jerking the wait off of the ground, pulling from my upper body to initiate the lift. Know, I focus (once again, because this is how i used to do it) on pushing my feet through the floor to break the bar from the ground.
3.) This is a biggie, before, i snapped backwards at the top of the lift and hyper-extended backwards. I think this had little to no benefit and was a big cause for the injuries. Now I just stand straight up with the weight. No snap at the top. Maybe just a little bringing my shoulders back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Hang in there Josh. Just a bump in the road. SOunds like you have the right atitude. Just take your time, put the work in and let the good things come to you.
Thanks Mike. I know I'll get there sooner or later.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote