Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Sound reasoning, looks like. And aligns closely to some of my - very limited - experience so far.

Just one question (though I think I already know the answer...) - does the formula change at all if someone is not only starting with checked boxes for "ectomorph", weak, and small-boned, but also rapidly approaching 40 years old, with no background of lifting, sport, or anything like that, but instead, a heavily sedentary lifestyle featuring the odd addiction and other stupidity here and there...?

What if it was more like closing in on 50yo when starting, with all of the above? Or 60yo?

The first version is, well, *me* a year or so ago , and the others just hypothetical.

Not trying to open an argument, stir up trouble, or anything like that. Simply curious. Again, I *probably* know the answer to the first one. The other versions, I feel increasingly less sure, but actually have no idea, to be honest.
I will be 50 this year, so I will attempt to speak to this as one who has passed 40 and about to hit 50. IMHO, Geezers have two minor changes over the young bucks. A.) persistence is more important. We recover slower and grow slower, if you are not patient you will quit. B.) as we get older our bodies have a harder time processing protein so the Geezer needs to take in a little more protein than the young bucks to achieve the same benefit.

Aside from these two minor changes, the formula works. Get back to Basics!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote