Thread: Hook grip
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Beach Pong Champion! Pinboliada Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

I've used hook-grip a lot with deadlifts and cleans, pulled 230kg/507lb with it recently, only problem is if you catch your finger on your leg and open the grip as I did. I've never had a grip problem other than on sweaty days with slick bars but prefer to stick with double overhand for training so generally use straps or hook grip. Once you get used to it it's no problem and if you have problems with it tearing your thumb build some calluses up with your warm-ups or get some tape. I've never experienced any lasting problems with my thumbs other than some redness/soreness after a session. Heavy rep sets are probably the worst so I'd say straps for those.

Get lots of upper back work in with straps and do anything that taxes your grip too, preferably something heavy that has you squirming in seconds. If you can hold it for 30+ seconds I doubt it'll have much carryover to 1RM grip (only my opinion).