BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I don't like your setup, personally. If you want to do 5/3/1 3 days a week, I feel you should stick to the original upper/lower format and do a total of 4 seperate workouts. 2 of those workouts being primarily upper body days and 2 being lower body days.
Then instead of doing all 4 workouts in one week, you simply only do three of the training sessions a week.
So You have four sessions: A,B,C,D. A = OHP, B = Squat, C = Bench Press, D = Deadlift
Example:

workouts A,B,C Week 1
D,A,B week 2
C,D,A week 3
B,C,D in week 4.

So you will be completeling a cycle in 5 weeks instead of 4 (including the deload week). Don't overthink this too much. If you are going to go 3 days a week with 5/3/1 I think this is the way to go.

Having said all that, 5/3/1 progression in rather slow. You are increasing the weight only every 4 weeks. I think for a Novice/Beginner lifter, a routine with an increased progression frequency is more appropriate. In other words, I think at your stage, you should be able to increase weight every week. Maybe look at some different upper lower split or full body routines. We can recommend some if you like. Some of the other guys may have some better input as far as picking a routine.
I think you doing 5/3/1 at this point would actually be holding you back.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 05-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote