View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I have an abiding interest in Phobias.

In 1984 I washed out of US Army Airborne School when I refused to jump from the 32 foot tower—twice (they caught me off-guard and threw me out of the tower the 1st time...)

I've carried the Shame and Humiliation ever since.

I've done some reading about Fear of Heights.

I'm not bothered by looking out a High Window. In fact, I enjoy the view.

I can and have walked on high—very high—catwalks as long as there is a guard rail.

As long as I can hang onto something solid with one hand, I'm good to go.

I couldn't walk along a beam like a Skyscraper Building High Ironworker even if it was five foot wide.

According to what I've read, I'm not so much afraid of Heights as I am specifically Afraid of Falling...

According to articles online, this is generally a well-founded fear based on above average tendency to trip and fall.

And yes, even when young and fit, I'd occasionally get absent minded and trip over my own feet.

Some years later, I worked as an Asbestos Remover.

I told them up front that I wasn't good with Heights and there were times that I flat-out refused to climb somewhere...

However, many times—on a case-by-case basis—I found myself able to work in High Situations that would have petrified even Normal People...

And we did a lot of unsafe stuff...

Interestingly enough, sometimes I'd come in and find myself completely unable to work somewhere that I'd been comfortable working the day before...

I have even tested myself walking across beams and such, got halfway across, and been hit with an Almost Paralyzing Anxiety Attack.

Of course, I lost any chance I had to be Brave when I froze in the tower...

But I wonder if anyone has any insights and thoughts on my condition?

Saxon Violence

Last edited by SaxonViolence; 04-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote