Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

For anyone looking for leather straps, any of the better powerlifting gear websites usually have leather versions.

I use straps, but NOT for deadlifts. You don't compete with straps, so no real reason to use them. But I also have a pretty good bar. My old bar was horrible. Chalk didn't help, and I did have to use straps to pull heavier weights. With the Rogue bar I use now I never even touch chalk until I get up around 500.

For me the best use of straps is for direct back work. It helps your form because when you have to squeeze hard it activates the biceps which takes emphasis off of the back. Not a good thing. Using straps allows you to pull from the elbow and think of your hand as nothing more than a hook that attaches to your elbow, which helps with direct back work. Also, with lifts like the one arm dumbell row, you'll be able to move signifigantly more weight with straps than without.

For people who can't feel pullups in their back, they should use straps and focus on the stretch side of the movement. Start by letting your shoulders relax and get a huge stretch, then start the movement by tightening the shoulders and sticking out the chest before pulling yourself as high as you can go, even if it's only a few inches, and pointing your chest at the sky. Repeat that for a few sets of 5-8 and you'd be a lier if you said you didn't feel your lats the next day.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote