View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Here is my take on the concept of overtraining...

The "real" question is often this...how many days a week can I workout and how long can I workout each day without overtraining?

The answer is...a whole hell of a lot!

I've trained on a 3 day on, 1 day off and made great gains. These were 90 minute workouts. I was young, hormonally charged, and in my peak.

It takes a lot to overtrain. But...the real question we should be asking is...

How should I best train for optimal size and/or strength?

Pushing yourself towards overtraining doesn't insure optimal results. Just stay focused on the point of hitting the gym. We lift to get bigger and stronger, and not to see how hard we can beat the crap out of our bodies.

It is best to start with a reasonable approach, and add to it as you advance and get more experienced. BY keeping things simple, you learn your body and what it can handle. It's much easier to add to a workout than it is to overtrain and try to figure out just what to take away.

Think about it...

Say your training week is 40 sets per day, 240 sets per week. And you overtrain. Now what? Do you remove 5 sets? 25? 200?

If you are doing a 2 to 3 day per week fullbody routine, or a simple 3 day split, and this routine has 3 exercises per day...and you want to add more, it's much easier for you to fit in another set here or there to fit your needs.

Pre-steroid era training focused on doing more as you gain experience. I really think this is a wise approach.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote