View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. And don't worry about your English. It's very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3rnhard View Post
i have been reading here for some time and train for about a year. i made good progress with starting strength and now with bill starrs single factor 5x5.

in about a month i will plateau with 5x5 and change to a 5/3/1 style programming as this seems to be a perfect programming for steady progress over years.

right now my PRs are:

squat: 150kgx3
bench: 115kgx1
deadlift: 170kgx1
overhead press:67,5kgx1
Those are nice looking totals for only training a year. Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3rnhard View Post
what i dont like about 531 is the 4 times a week programming and the split style. so this is my "531 like" template:

Squat 531
Bench repetition effort
chins

Deadlift 531
Overhead Press 3x8
Power Shrugs 3x8

Bench 531
Squat 1x8
Dips 5x5
kroc rows

What do you guys think about this aproach?
Overall, a solid idea and approach. Low rep overhead presses aren't always the best choice for everyone, and I think you can get a lot out of them with higher rep ranges.

I like the idea of doing Squats 5/3/1 first, then bench 5/3/1, then deadlift. If deadlift is on a Friday, that gives you 2 days to recover before squats. I like the idea of spacing out squats and deadlifts as far apart as possible to keep you as fresh as possible.

I was also considering the possibility of you adding front squats instead of "squats 1 x 8" on your bench day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote