View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post
I agree and I like to add, that proper form and technique tends to be lost even without failure, just from fatigue and when the reps are to high, especially for deadlifts.
Personally my self, I don't go above 3 reps at the main sets, either at straights sets or either at part of sets (mini sets) if it's a cluster set, rest-pause or a bulldozer set etc.
With Squats it's Ok to go sometimes to higher reps

I think for these kind of exercises (the big exercises and exercises with bigger range of movement, see deads, squats, Goodmornings, power cleans etc) the best way to train is to have heavy loads and intensity, but with fatigue control, and go short of failure (except the 1RM attempts).
And if you have progress, you don't have to worry for anything.

On the other side, with the other exercises (not the big ones and these with shorter range of movement, like shrugs, curls etc), I think someone can go to failure and have sets with more fatigue, and of course more reps.
But training with fatigue control on these is also a good way to train.
You touch on a good point...fatigue leading to slight worsening of form. I especially notice this in deadlifts. I'm not implying that everyone has this same problem, but I do.

I just do not like doing more then singles at 85%+ 1RM. And from 70-85% 1RM, about 3 reps is my max.

I did a Westside template a while back, and worked up in 3's. My back really took a beating...I think from worsening form on reps.

And I also agree with you about big exercises and big weights...the rep work is always plenty good enough without approaching failure. 3 good set of squats in the 4-8 rep range and I am beat. And 5-10 deadlift singles gives me plenty of upper back soreness the next day. I couldn't even begin to think about training to failure on these exercises.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote