Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #245
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmonster93 View Post
Hi! I have a question and any feedback u guys can give would be truly appreciated!
I am currently doing the wendler 5/3/1 program and I love it. All my lifts are doing great and I am constantly hitting new PR's. However, in the first two cycles I managed to increase my bench 1RM by over 100 lbs. Don't take me wrong, this is awesome! but now I am finding myself having to do around 21 + reps on the last set of every workout because my 1RM is so much higher than it used to be. Wendler recommends to increase the squat only by 10 lbs every cycle, so my question is: since my goal reps are so high, can I increase by 20 lbs my squat instead of 10?? This way my goal reps will go down a little bit and will fall more into the 1-10 rep range instead of the 10 - 25 rep range.

Thanks in advance!
First off, great progress.

This is one reason I'm not a fan of programs that force you to stick to fixed rates of progression. Everyone is different.

With that said, if you are training for purely strength I would bump it by 20. If you are training for muscle building and strength, I would stay the course unless you completely despise 20 rep squats. 20 rep squats are amazing builders so there is certainly nothing wrong with using them for a few months.

It's really your call. During some periods of my life I enjoyed 20 rep squats more than others.

If you are going over 20 reps then I would most definitely recommend a bump in weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote