Thread: Foam Rolling
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I like foam rolling, and it sometimes helps me with back ache, but I wonder if it's possible to fall in love with it too much.

I used it on my IT band for ages, enduring horrible pain which never got any easier. I now think that was a total waste of time: trying to stretch the IT band is like trying to stretch out a truck tyre - it's just not going to happen, and especially not by foam rolling.

Second, about foam rolling through the pain. Well, maybe it releases 'adhesions', and that takes a lot of work...then again, maybe not. With sports massage, it seems to me that too much pressure only serves to bruise the tissue - going back to it before it's recovered just bruises it all the more. I wonder if continually rolling the same spot is just like punching yourself until you get a really sore area, then punching it some more and wondering why it still hurts.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote