Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I agree with everything you say except for that last phrase. I do think you have to worry about being explosive if you want to raise your 1 rep max.

Your 1 rep is your ability to fire as many muscle fibers as possible right in that first split second off the bottom of your lifts. You obviously learn that by doing 1 rep maxes, but you can't do singles all the time.

But doing things explosively, I think, helps you get the idea across to your nervous system that you want everything available to work at the weakest point of the lift which is always the bottom (for raw lifters anyway). Your body in my opinion only uses what it has to use to perform, so with 70% of your max, it isn't working very hard nor very quickly unless you make it think that way.

I believe being explosive is important, but not that it needs a special day unless you are not naturally an explosive lifter.

For example I do not believe a guy doing 8x 3 with 70% "slowly" is going to really help his max bench any.

My opinions. I would love to hear what a Westside guy thinks, though.
I think I misspoke. It's not that I think that it isn't important to move explosively, as much as that I'm reaching the conclusion that explosiveness isn't an important attribute to train in and of itself. My exposiveness has improved a lot lately, but I haven't been training speed. I'm just getting stronger and improving my form, and explosiveness is coming along with it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote