Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Regarding his point, I tend to agree. Westside works. With that said, I don't know many pure raw lifters personally who have mastered Westside and reached near-elite levels.

It's a chicken and egg thing for me. Do raw lifters tend to avoid Westside because it appears more gear-centric, or is Westside simply not the most efficient method for raw lifters?

I tend to think that successful raw lifters could use just about any "method" and be successful. I am fairly confident I could thrive on Westside. I think we tend to forget that templates are merely starting points. We look at Westside as a template and destination rather than a starting point. Louie, or any other trainer worth their salt, knows that the real work starts after a person is given a template, and not from the template itself. Results are created from needs-based modifications.

Having trained heavy with frequency for quite a while, in some ways I don't see Westside as being that dramatically different from what I did...sans speed work. I learned the art of training heavy each week - and it is truly an art.

I think it takes time to learn, whether you are geared or raw, or squatting heavy once or 6x a week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote