View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default Saturday, 3/23: Dynamic Effort Squat

Speed Box Squat w/Safety Bar
1 x 2 x 260 (~0.7 on Tendo; a bit too slow)
8 x 2 x 240 (~0.8 on Tendo)

Platform Jumps (36" stand; not weighted)
2 x 10

GHR
4 x 10 x bw

Wheelbarrow (w/several cones set up for turns)
3 x ~40 yds. x (wb+400 lbs.)
2 x ~40 yds. x (wb+425 lbs.)

Tire Flip & Jump (flip it, jump into it, jump out of it on the other side, flip it again)
4 x 8 flips

I'm used to a routine that includes nothing more nor less than squat, bench, deadlift, incline bench, standing press, and occasionally front squat. These Westside workouts are very different. The big 3 are certainly the most technical, focused parts of the workout, but the bulk of my time is spent doing other stuff. Time will tell if this leads to gains on the big 3, but for now, it's just great to have all this variety.

This was my first time using a safety squat bar. For me, the main benefit is not having to think as much about upper body and being able to focus even more on lower body. Still trying to get the hang of wide-stance squatting (i.e., going back, not down).

The wheelbarrow and tire flips were great! It's difficult work, but somehow also fun. I thought flipping the tire would be easy, since my deadlift numbers aren't terrible; it wasn't too difficult, but it definitely wasn't easy. While I felt like I could've done more sets, doing more reps would've been a struggle. The wheebarrow felt more like an old friend. I did a lot of landscaping work for my uncle on his property (2-3 acres), and I used the wb pretty much every day. Dirt, mulch, weeds, rocks, sticks: I'd have to fill the barrow and wheel it sometimes across the entire property. The turns and slight inclines in this parking lot are nothing compared to the bumps, holes, and hills at my uncle's. Didn't realize how good I'd gotten at balancing and moving quickly with the wb till today when I pretty much dominated everyone on this course!

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-23-2013 at 03:50 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote