Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #166
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
hey BtB,
i watched your video on building massive traps. btw, your traps are insane! my traps have responded really well to deadlifts, but i recently started doing shrugs. i do exactly the kind you mentioned -- the dumbbell shrug with holds at the top -- but now this sounds like a waste of time.
my question is this: it's very difficult to get a power rack at my gym in order to do barbell power shrugs. is there any way to get the same benefit using dumbbells? DBs would be the easiest option for me.
Well let me first say they aren't a waste of time per se. The main issue with shrugs is that people are a lot stronger on them then they imagine, and often limit the weight, or simple don't have big enough dumbbells to stimulate much growth. Some lifters also get stubborn and won't use straps, allowing grip to limit traps building.

Most guys that can deadlift 300 should be able to do shrugs with 400 (eventually), but they often end up using 60 pound dumbbells. The traps are build to hold a lot of weight. They are a powerfully strong muscle. Don't be afraid to challenge them wisely.

My advice is to get some straps, strap in with the heaviest dumbbells in the gym, and power shrug 3x10. See how this feels.

Explode those shoulders/traps up; make that weight move.

Let me know how this goes.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote