Thread: RDL vs SLDL
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Pulling this from PMS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh
Steve, I know you didn't say they were the same. I've read your article. Did you not say that the only difference is bar path?
Did you state that one starts from the ground the other from a hang?
No. That was a basic primer, not an advanced tutorial. There is a difference.

Just because I say:

Quote:
Unlike the stiff leg deadlift, the Romanian deadlift is performed by lowering the barbell along the legs.
...doesn't mean that I am saying it is the ONLY difference. I am providing a cursory overview for the beginning lifter/undereducated lifter who believes these lifts are the same exercise.

I never said the only difference was bar path.

I have no idea where you get this from. Read the article again. I NEVER say that is the only difference. I say it is A difference.

Another quote from my comments:

Quote:
These deadlift variations are often seen as the same lift, but they are not. There are minor, but important differences regarding how each variation is performed.
The old schoolers in these images weren't riding the bar against their legs:

Understand that just because I talk about the differences as they are understood by the modern lifting community doesn't mean I am endorsing them. I am merely trying to speak the language understood by lifters so I can help educate them.

When I say things such as:

Quote:
Unlike the stiff leg deadlift, the Romanian deadlift is performed by lowering the barbell along the legs.
I am not implying that this is the ONLY difference. It is the main difference; an important difference. A difference not known to the average Joe.

I am not performing an advanced analysis of the RDL in that article. It is an overview. It was meant to show lifters that there is indeed a difference between the lifts.

There are different types of articles. When I write simple bench press tips and leave out a comprehensive bench press overview, I am not implying that this tip is the only important aspect of the bench press, nor am I saying it's the only difference between a good bench press and a bad bench press.

When I talk about the hand spacing differences between close grips and bench press to beginners I am not saying these differences are the only differences. I write certain types of articles for certain types of audiences. My focus is always on helping beginners. I am not Rippetoe, nor have I ever positioned myself as someone who tries to teach the advanced biomechanics of lifts.

I am trying to get people to a functional level, uninjured. That is who I am. That is who I write to. I teach only what I know, and never pretend to know everything.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-13-2013 at 11:45 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote