View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
so that my upper and lower body pushing and pulling are balanced.
oh, i see what you mean. i've discussed this with a trainer friend of mine before. the pairings we came up with were this:

dip + upright row
standing press + pullup
incline bench + incline row
flat bench + Pendlay row

but the problem we encountered was with squat and deadlift: there's no practical way to reverse those movements. i thought a great idea would be if there were some way to strap your feet to the ground, stand under a wide-grip overhead cable row machine, and pull the bar down using your posterior chain so that you end in the bottom position of a squat (reverse squat). it's sort of like an upright deadlift!
for reverse deadlift, it's a similar movement except you begin with the bar in front of you and at your waist with your elbows locked. instead of your lower back + glutes, you'll actually use your abs and hip flexors to initiate the movement.
but again, there's no practical way to do these last 2 exercises, and they'd probably be more trouble than they're worth. they are, though, the correct reversal of the movement, just like the more legit exercises above.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote