View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Thumbs up Checked Out a Westside Gym Today!

I was sitting here this morning browsing MaB when it occurred to me how much I hate my commercial gym. I Googled "powerlifting gym" and my zip code. There weren't many hits, but I found one. Almost zero information published on the web, so I called the number.

A guy picked up: "Hello?"
Me: "Uh...is this the gym?"
"Yeah..."
"Oh, okay...what are your membership rates?'
"We don't have membership rates. We're not a commercial gym. You have to go to LA Fitness or Bally's."
"Oh...so it's private? I can't lift there?"
"No, it's not private, but all lifting here is supervised."
"Oh..well, I'm interested in powerlifting and I'm trying to find a better gym. The gym where I am now is like LA Fitness. I'm not that strong, though [I told him my PRs, body weight, and age]."
He then seemed a bit difficult, like not inviting at all but not telling me to go to hell either. I asked, "Can I come there?"
"When do you want to come? We have a girl training here now who squats more than you."
"I'll come right over."
"Fine. I guess we'll see you when you get here."

Long story short, one of the trainers showed me the place, talked about Westside, and we watched the girl do her dynamic squats on the monolift. Dudes, they have E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G at this place! It's like a powerlifting/strongman playground! Tires, sleds, sledgehammers, farmer's walk things, a yoke, a slosh pipe, every kind of bar you can or can't imagine, a reverse hyper station (yes!), and of course tons of bands and chains!

Only thing is I won't be able to train however I want: I have to follow the gym's routine. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? My "tryout" begins Monday @ 4:00 p.m. -- speed bench day. If the owner doesn't like me, I'm not allowed to sign on.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-09-2013 at 05:01 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links