Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #78
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That was an awesome post BtB. Extremely informative.

What do you think is the main things early to intermediate lifters should worry about in order of importance? Say I'm past the newb stage, but need to to take the next step. What should I focus on first? Second? etc? What should I not worry about at all really?

A?
B?
C?

D and E things that are really further down the road?

A) Starting to listen to their bodies. They are in a transformation stage. Weights are heavier, demands are becoming more difficult. They need to start caring less about sticking to a program strictly, and most about evolving that program to fit their needs.

B) Having realistic expectations. The intermediate years are a long haul. It could take 6 years to go from a 200 bench to a 330-350 bench. Intermediates need to take honest looks at progress.

So many early intermediates expect rapid gains to continue. They won't. Gains always slow.

As long as progress is being made on a monthly basis on some level, intermediates need to trust the process and not enter panic mode.

C) Don't train to punish, but rather train for progress. I would rather see someone doing 2 sets of an assistance work and making progress than to be hammering of a 5x10 and blasting their joints into submission.

D) Get everything strong. This is almost lost in modern powerlifting. There is such a focus on assistance work that lifters often forget someone more fundamentally important - get everything strong, from head to toe.

I have no weaknesses. That is my only secret.

I don't think a lifter should train "assistance" until they have all their bases insanely strong. Perhaps this sounds like semantics, but I don't often see guys ramming back, overhead press and quad work for as much weight as humanly possible.

E) Never waste a set. better to do 8 good sets a workout than a bunch of assistance work that isn't very challenging.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote