View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
BBC News - Processed meat 'early death' link

Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post

Originally Posted by BendtheBar
Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young if you sit around doing nothing physical for years at a time.
Fixed for accuracy.
Fixed for hopefulness, more like. Here's the BC report:

Quote:
It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke, be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health.

However, the researchers said even after those risk factors were accounted for, processed meat still damaged health...

...Prof Sabine Rohrmann, from the University of Zurich, told the BBC: "High meat consumption, especially processed meat, is associated with a less healthy lifestyle.

"But after adjusting for smoking, obesity and other confounders we think there is a risk of eating processed meat...

...Ursula Arens from the British Dietetic Association told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that putting fresh meat through a mincer did not make it processed meat.

"Something has been done to it to extend its shelf life, or to change its taste, or to make it more palatable in some way... and this could be a traditional process like curing or salting."

She said even good quality ham or sausages were still classed as processed meat, while homemade burgers using fresh meat were not.

I think this study will also demonstrate the incredible power of the human mind to shut out things it doesn't want to believe in. The logic goes:

I like bacon. I like exercise. Therefore, if I eat bacon and I exercise, I will not be at any risk.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote