View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #74
IrishHitman
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

In a bit of reflection today, I wanted to get a few things out in the open. Nothing awful, just stuff I have been thinking about regarding my training and my life.

As you've all noticed, I have changed programs. This is not a "program-hop" for the sake of program-hopping. I changed it to fit my new goals, even though I was continuing to see gains with the MaB fullbody. I still love that program and will revisit it, probably. It's solid. Thoughts that went into the change:
Volume. This was a big selling point for me as I want to get a little more stamina in my lifting as well as nail down my form. Lots of reps seems like a solid way of getting there.
Prep for competition. I'm not quite sure when I will compete, but I am working the Korte Squats, Bench, Deadlift, to mirror what a meet will feel like.
Ease and efficiency. I'm not necessarily a big fan of accessory work as I really don't know my exact areas of deficiency yet. I'm just a couple months back into the game and would like to build strength and size with the big three for two months, then reassess and see what's lacking, then go from there. Having to only train only the big three keeps me from moving around, losing focus, and getting bored. It may seem counterintuitive, but I do better when I can hyperfocus on a few things.

I am making a change in gyms, as I mentioned. The U has a very nice facility for students, but it is geared more towards a general fitness atmosphere. I'm happy to be going to a place where powerlifting and bodybuilding is a bigger focus. The tangible community will be a plus and will help keep me motivated and in the loop as to events.

Classes are going well. Better than I expected. Cultural Anthropology is quite interesting and is allowing me to view the different cultures I am a part of in unexpected ways. Economics is challenging as I have not done hardcore math in a while, nor have I ever dealt with an online course. Lots of self-discipline is involved, but I know I can take care of business, just like I do at work and at the gym.

Work is work. Still learning a lot, but getting more into the grind always helps. Picking up those 100# rice bags gets easier each week

Nutrition: I have begun eating a lot more, which isn't a bad thing. I'm eating, for the most part, more healthfully. I considered going Paleo with my diet, but have decided to just shy away from processed junk. It isn't a hard adjustment, but it takes a lot of willpower to not grab that snickers bar and RedBull before a shift on Friday night. On that note, however, my caffeine consumption has gone way down as well as my alcohol consumption. I don't know how much of an effect lifting has made in those realms, but I have noticed a change since I got back into the game.

My one big confession today is that I have really slacked off on my CPAP therapy. For the past 1.5 months I've not really worn the Vader mask, and I wonder how that has affected my gains. What could I be doing right now if I hadn't made that sacrifice? I'm going to start correcting this mistake starting tonight and getting them good REMs in. I'm going to continue using melatonin over the next week in order to help get my sleep schedule back under control (which is actually going pretty well right now). I'll probably lay off it after that.

Supplementation.
I am still using he Juggernaut HP pre-workout (Thanks again, InfiniteLabs!). Great product and I love the blood flow it seems to free up. It is lasting FOREVER. I expected maybe a month out of it, but I've been on the same jug for a while. The energy factor isn't so much a physical thing I get, but more a mental of "I can push through." My head seems to be clearer on days I use it. Taste is much better now that I mix with more water. I am going to get some BCAAs next week after I get paid to see how I dig on those. They're a pretty cheap supp, which I am all about. Not expecting a miracle, just wanting that little extra.

Overall mood is pretty good. I got out of that funk I was in post-breakup finally about a month ago. Lifting has helped with that, I am sure. I've gone on a couple dates and have a couple more dates I need to line up, but I'm not too worried about that scene right now. I already have a lot on my plate. Having the support of my family with everything I am doing has been really great and I am really enjoying being back in my hometown.

I am aware of what a rambling post this is, but the fact is, this log isn't really for anyone but me. I appreciate all input and encouragement, don't get me wrong. But I want to be able to look back in a couple years and say "Wow. Look what I've come from." I want to thank all of you for all the wonderful birthday wishes this past Monday and all the continued support. Don' know what I would do without y'all.

Roll Tide and Lift Heavy.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is online now   Reply With Quote