View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greu View Post
Why? What's wrong with it?
In my opinion, if your squat form isn't already strong, you risk developing bad habits by box squatting. Even if you do have good form, you still risk developing bad habits.

Box squats force me to sit back more. Doesn't sound bad on paper, but when you don't realize the changes it is causing you to make, it can complicate things.

I was picking up near-instantaneous knee tendinitis from box squats and couldn't figure out why for years. After a few conversations here I realized it that box squats were forcing me to push my hips back more than normal, I wasn't making other adjustments so that I could handle this properly, and was injuring myself.

I recommend spending several years working on squats. Once you have a natural and strong barbell squat, and some good guys that can point out form changes (in person or on the net), then try box squats if they make sense.

With that said, many natural raw lifters simply don't need them. There are some big squatters here who never use them. Only point being that while some view them as necessary, they aren't. They can be a useful tool, in the right program, under a good coach, but beginners and intermediates still need a ton of free squats.

Adding a variation like box squats can create a lot of bad habits that lifters aren't aware of if they have no coaching.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote