View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There are 3 that reveal that over-eating packs on muscle, even in untrained individuals.

Quote:
The 12 Day Study. In a 1996 study, Changes in macronutrient balance during over- and underfeeding assessed by 12-d continuous whole-body calorimetry, researchers found that a 12 day bulk resulted in a 4.38 lean muscle mass gain and a 2 pound fat mass gain. The amazing aspect of the study…participants did not perform any form of resistance training.
Quote:
The Rochester Study. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry studied the hormonal response to mixed-diet bulking. Results revealed a significant boost in anabolic drive. Participants experienced rocketing levels of insulin, testosterone, and IGF-1, and experienced a significant increase in muscle mass. As in the “12 Day Study”, resistance training was not involved.
Quote:
The Short Term Study. In the study, Short-term, mixed-diet overfeeding in man: no evidence for “luxuskonsumption”, following a 13 day caloric maintenance period, 5 male subjects ate bulking diets for a 9 days period. During this time, subjects gained an average of 7.04 pounds. 3.1 pounds of this gain was muscle mass. (Please note that this bulk followed a maintenance period, and not a cut)
There was also a study on sumo wrestlers which revealed that they have about as much lean muscle mass as elite natural bodybuilders.

My own personal experience is in line with these studies as well. I had a layoff from lifting, and got back at it in 2007. At the time I weighed 278 and was a bucket of lard. Using a skin fold caliper, I found my base lean muscle mass to be 172 pounds. I documented my change over at BB.com, and after 100 days of training (only 60 were with weights, the first 40 were running and pushups), My LBM was 178.

I logged every day of that transformation, and took skin folds and pictures weekly. Here are before and afters:

There was some muscle memory that took place going from 172 to 178. But I had a base LBM of 172 out the gate after many years and years away from weights.

Of course, I has previously been a lifter. But the point being made is that when the body eats a lot of food, a good portion of the weight gained in muscle. Maybe that weight gain is only 33% muscle, but I do believe you can eat only crap...soda, Doritos, ice cream...and gain quite a bit of muscle.
Attached Images

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote