BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

The last three times I've posted any advice with the intentions of helping in this forum someone has came along to directly tell me I am full of shit. It's really getting old. Tann, this isn't necessarily geared at you, I doubt your intentions were ill. I am just frustrated and tired of people feeling the need to call other's out anytime there is a differnece of opinion. Even when in the end, neither part is incorrect, and both approaches are reasonable and sound.

And to clarify, I don't think someone learning front squats should do cross grip. That is my opinion. But I never said anyone who is doing them is wrong or anything of that nature. Because clearly, that is not the case.

So, since you felt the need to call me out on what was an opinion and an attempt to help some one learning a new movement, I will explain my best understanding of why I felt he should learn the standard clean grip front squat variant and avoid the cross arm variant.

It boils down to this IMO: A clean grip produces a stable EVEN surface, a cross arm style does not. It physically is impossible for it to create an even surface with the arms criss crossed like that. This in turns impacts the stablilty of the surface of which the bar sits, potentialy having an impact on driving the bar upwards.

Now, clearly you are doing it (the cross grip) and it works great for yourself, as you are a very strong and accomplished individual. But as I was advising someone new to the movement, and to me it doesn't seem prudent for me to advise them to do something that I feel is less optimal than it's counterpart.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote