View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #44
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Haha! Touche, OR!

I also think you're thinking too much about this sarcoplastic or myofibular growth thing. It's really not that important early on. Some studies show that it is kind of a myth anyway that fluid big muscles will actually last any length of time, but point is it's not important.

My take on all this is that the human body repsponds to demands as best it can. If you hammer high reps, it will send blood and fluid to meet those demands. Do curls to failure and your arms are tight as a drum afterward, but next day, they are back to normal. Do that 2-3 times a week and you'll stay pumped up all the time until you stop doing it 2-3 times a week. You'll get bigger over time, sure, but not optimal for strength.

DO low reps all the time and body will send blood and fluid to meet those demands, but the body can't meet them with just fluid, so it builds thicker fibers too. Again, do that all the time and you build more and thicker fibers, sure, but do that 2-3 times week and you can't recover enough and again it's not optimal growth for strength or size, although you will get stronger over time.

Beginners need the best of both worlds, medium reps as OR is saying. Build the base strength. The further you go along, you'll specialize more of one than the other, but I think this point is lost sometimes in that you still need to do both high and low reps no matter what level you are.

BBers might live on high reps, but they need some low reps sprinkled in too to minimize their loss of size when fluid is no longer available.

Powerlifters hate to hear it, but while they live on low reps, they need high reps sprinkled in too, so that all those new thicker fibers they are building have some room to grow into.

That's my .02

Just guess I dont like the idea of increasing the sarcoplasm in my muscles, seems very superfitial considering all the hard work you put in.
I like the idea of gaining real bigger muscle fibres, but sarcoplasm does'nt appeal to me in the slightest.

Based on what you and the others have said, is there no avoiding it then?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote