MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Haha! Touche, OR!

I also think you're thinking too much about this sarcoplastic or myofibular growth thing. It's really not that important early on. Some studies show that it is kind of a myth anyway that fluid big muscles will actually last any length of time, but point is it's not important.

My take on all this is that the human body repsponds to demands as best it can. If you hammer high reps, it will send blood and fluid to meet those demands. Do curls to failure and your arms are tight as a drum afterward, but next day, they are back to normal. Do that 2-3 times a week and you'll stay pumped up all the time until you stop doing it 2-3 times a week. You'll get bigger over time, sure, but not optimal for strength.

DO low reps all the time and body will send blood and fluid to meet those demands, but the body can't meet them with just fluid, so it builds thicker fibers too. Again, do that all the time and you build more and thicker fibers, sure, but do that 2-3 times week and you can't recover enough and again it's not optimal growth for strength or size, although you will get stronger over time.

Beginners need the best of both worlds, medium reps as OR is saying. Build the base strength. The further you go along, you'll specialize more of one than the other, but I think this point is lost sometimes in that you still need to do both high and low reps no matter what level you are.

BBers might live on high reps, but they need some low reps sprinkled in too to minimize their loss of size when fluid is no longer available.

Powerlifters hate to hear it, but while they live on low reps, they need high reps sprinkled in too, so that all those new thicker fibers they are building have some room to grow into.

That's my .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 02-24-2013 at 01:02 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote