View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
(1) Refusal to maintain body fat at a healthy level (defined in women as the level necessary for normal menstrual cycles to take place) accompanied by a desire to maximize muscle mass.
This could be abnormal if someone REFUSED to EVER do it. How many bodybuilders refuse to be at a healthy level though? Desire to maximize muscle though? Uh...

Quote:
(2) Intense fear of gaining fat or losing muscle, even though body fat is below normal, as defined above, and degree of muscularity is far above average.
Once again...could be a problem if it was INTENSE. Normal fear of gaining fat is...well...normal. And anyone who works their butt of in the gym lifting is going to fear losing muscle.

Quote:
(3) Strict adherence to a rigid diet with at least 2 of the following features:
Strict adherence to anything doesn't mean anything. It just means choice. Those who disagree with the choice want to label it bad because they don't get it.

Quote:
(a) At least 5 meals per day, consumed on a regular schedule, for example every 3 hours.
Why on earth is this a problem? Why would this be on the list at all? Total utter nonsense.

Quote:
(b) Meals all consist of high-calorie, high-protein, low-fat foods or food supplements.
Common current bodybuilding thinking is that lowfat is not a good thing. Beyond that...what does any of this have to do with 'disorder'?

Quote:
(c) A significant amount of time and money is spent acquiring, preparing and eating these specialized meals.
Like others have said...spending time on something important to you isn't a bad thing Why is fitness treated this way. I practice my guitar a lot and it's applausable. Save up and buy a new guitar. All cool. Pay for private instruction? Good for you. But I put effort and money into diet and woe be unto me.

Quote:
(4) Disturbance in the way in which one's body composition is experienced or undue influence of body appearance on self-evaluation.
This could be problematic if extreme. This is something that we all (people...not bodybuilders) need to be realistic about. We are who we are.

Quote:
(5) Social and occupational opportunities are frequently given up because they interfere with the composition or timing of meals.
This one pissed me off the worse. If I'm not willing to down a plate of cookies every time the family gets together I have a disorder?!?! Yes, I stopped going to the weekly family cookie night. Yes, when they have a pizza party at work I don't join in. Guess I need psychological treatment.

Realistically, I can see it being taken too far. But anything can be taken too far. Ultimately, the principles behind bodybuilding have been nothing but a blessing in my life.

This article makes me mad.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote