sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

2/17/13

Squat
45x5x2
115x5
170x3
230x2
290x5x2
290x10

Bench
45x5x2
130x5
180x3
230x2
260x5x3

Deadlift
125x5x2
185x3
265x2
315x5

Deadlifts went really well today. Control over my form came much easier, despite being overly frustrated at the jackasses attempting to turn the weight room into circuits, using all the main pieces of equipment for just 2 D-bags. I held my temper. My 315x5 didn't break down til the last rep where my hips shot up first, but it still felt light. Might try some sumo deads next time to see if my form holds out longer that way.

Bench felt heavy. I haven't really been making progress there, and it has the potential to become frustrating. I should have stepped it up to 265 today, but I was actually dreading it. I've got a "twinge" in my left elbow and shoulder from earlier today that I hope is gone when I wake up tomorrow.

Squats were pretty awesome today. I wonder if it's because they're done first. Doesn't matter really as long as I keep getting progress. I do need to find a solution to the safety bar height. I think there are a couple more reps in there if I stop hitting the bars. I wish I could get my hands on a couple 4'x4' 3/4" sheets of OSB. Another 1.5" would be perfect. Then I could move the rack up another notch as well instead of doing a half squat just to unrack it.

I didn't go for a max today. I really wanted to, but I resisted the urge on the logic that I can just do my openers at my current work set weight and see what feels right from there. I'd love to have a plan, but I'm not really at the stage in my lifting development where I know in advance how it should go.
More squats tomorrow. Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I might back off and just do the prescribed 295x5x3 because I want to try and video myself in a few days, hopefully smashing 300x10.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links