View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good topic.

When I was in the military I did a lot of early morning training. I would sip on a highly diluted protein shake during the workout, or on a BCAA drink. I usually put one scoop of whey in about 20-24 ounces of water. I am not sure if the protein was necessary, but not having eaten in quite a while I considered it an insurance policy. It was also nice to have something of taste while working out. Plain water wasn't always fun for me while still trying to wake up.

If you are a coffee person, you could also combine 12-16 ounces of coffee with 4-8 ounces of water and a scoop or whey. The extra water cools the coffee a bit. This combo is my favorite.

I would probably also recommend 5 minutes of walking and or some light stretching just to get moving, and then hit your workout as normal.

One thing I will say is that morning workouts made me hungry. I do recommend eating a quality meal post-workout. If not you might find yourself binge eating by mid-morning. On the weekends I lift in the morning and am always starving.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote