Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

IMO, the benefit of starting with BW exercises is whole-body integration, coordination. You usually are working your core and balance, etc. much more if you start there which will help you later, and, which may not be properly developed with traditional weight lifting exercises if your form is not coached.

That said, have no doubt, a simple DB or BB program will be the best way to add strength and muscle if you keep your rest and food in line with your effort and goal.

I was a skinny kid and have tried too many things in over 20 years. If I had it to do over, I would master bench, squat, dead lift, military press, pull ups & chin ups and some form of row. Yes, there are accessory moves to try that are beneficial, but I would never stray far from those key moves.

We shouldn't be allowed to step away from the base moves unless we can hit some serious markers. I would aim for 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat, 2.5xBW dead lift, 1xBW military press, and at least 20 straight pull ups or chin ups. This can take years and may be boring at times, but it's foundational. Also, realize, your BW will increase over time so you're chasing a moving target.

Last key, for most, I think less is more. That is, train hard, but as little as possible to make progress. Recovery time is critical to growth and you'll make your fastest progress the first year or so on a good program, but why train 3-5 times per week if you advance on 2 times per week? The point is not the number of days, it's finding the minimum number of days that work for you. One lesson I've learned is that I did a lot of "work" and would have gone further if I had had more rest (especially true if you lean toward ectomorph).