Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

More PR's today. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to squat. My bench and deadlift both feel good, and I feel like I'm able to access my full strength with the technique I've developed in each. I don't feel that way about the squat. If I'm able to deadlift 500lb, it doesn't make sense that I can only squat 365. I feel like I made a step in the right direction tonight.

I've been doing either powerlifting squats to parallel with wide feet, or ATG style squats with a closer stance. I've never combined the two, but I decided to try tonight. I put my feet only slightly wider than shoulder width, then held the bar not too high or not too low, right in the middle. I sequenced the lift in a powerlifting style, breaking with my hips, then pushing my knees out to the side. I also stopped at parallel, which is completely new to me with such a close stance. It felt like a partial rep.

Here's how the numbers look. I'm ecstatic with them-

squats, as described above-
45x8
135x8
225x5
275x5
315x5 PR
335x2 PR
335x1*
225x12

Sumo speed pulls-
135x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

*on this set I decided to try to bring my hands in closer. MISTAKE. My normal, extremely wide grip gives me a huge base to hold the bar. The majority of the bar is on my back and shoulders. When I brought in my hands it felt horrible, like I was barely holding onto the bar.

So, it looks like I have a new lead as far as squatting technique. 315 still wasn't easy, but it felt much better with this setup. I could've done a couple more sets with 335, but when I tried to mess with my hands it threw me off big time, so I decided to get in a quick set with 225 and call it a day on squat.

I'm happy, I got some PR's, and I'm sure more will come once I figure out how I want to squat and commit to it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote