Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

More PR's today. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to squat. My bench and deadlift both feel good, and I feel like I'm able to access my full strength with the technique I've developed in each. I don't feel that way about the squat. If I'm able to deadlift 500lb, it doesn't make sense that I can only squat 365. I feel like I made a step in the right direction tonight.

I've been doing either powerlifting squats to parallel with wide feet, or ATG style squats with a closer stance. I've never combined the two, but I decided to try tonight. I put my feet only slightly wider than shoulder width, then held the bar not too high or not too low, right in the middle. I sequenced the lift in a powerlifting style, breaking with my hips, then pushing my knees out to the side. I also stopped at parallel, which is completely new to me with such a close stance. It felt like a partial rep.

Here's how the numbers look. I'm ecstatic with them-

squats, as described above-
45x8
135x8
225x5
275x5
315x5 PR
335x2 PR
335x1*
225x12

Sumo speed pulls-
135x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

*on this set I decided to try to bring my hands in closer. MISTAKE. My normal, extremely wide grip gives me a huge base to hold the bar. The majority of the bar is on my back and shoulders. When I brought in my hands it felt horrible, like I was barely holding onto the bar.

So, it looks like I have a new lead as far as squatting technique. 315 still wasn't easy, but it felt much better with this setup. I could've done a couple more sets with 335, but when I tried to mess with my hands it threw me off big time, so I decided to get in a quick set with 225 and call it a day on squat.

I'm happy, I got some PR's, and I'm sure more will come once I figure out how I want to squat and commit to it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote