Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
I think this is a great idea for people to add to their lifting toolbox. I would caution that control and technique still be emphasized. New lifters may get overzealous, or try to increase the speed of a lift they aren't full in control of yet, risking injury. I am in overall agreement, as I try to get an explosive movement on my big compounds.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
One of my favorite ways to set up a session for strength is to work slowly up to a heavy triple, deuce, or even a single. Not a full max, but very close. Then I go back down to something around 65-75% for 4-6 sets of 3 or 4 reps, but I focus on speed and form. Working up to heavy weights first primes your CNS to fire more fibers and also warms you up, which makes the lighter weight seem like nothing, and makes it very easy to explode hard.

A session like this also doesn't burn you out like a stricly heavy session. I train with high frequency, usually doing either deadlift, squat, or a combination of the 2 every other day. Combining heavy sessions with lighter, more explosive sessions is the only way to train with that kind of frequency.
Also, agree. Just like heavier weights recruit more fibers, so does speed work. It also recruits the fiber types that are most directly linked to muscular development.