BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
In my opinion, this is ultimately self-defeating and one of the key things I dislike tremendously about 5/3/1.
I think clearly there are 2 sides to this opinion. However, this is not a debate thread and you have your valid points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
By it's very nature, and that of these types of routines, it's highly prescriptive and ends up teaching you very little about what is effective training after 5/3/1. Teaching you very little about a proper yearly plan, and the infrequent nature of the lifts leaves you with poor weekly conditioning and ripe for injuries.

I'm sure people reading this will want to refute the point. That's fine. This isn't something I want to even argue at this point since one or two examples and a convincing argument aren't going to change my mind. I've seen this pattern played out far too many times. If something other than a convincing argument comes along, like a consistent string of good long-term results, then I will consider changing my mind on it. For now I'll stick to my prior opinion on it.

It's basically the McDonald's of routines out there, might be convenient and acceptable in the short-term but it is no good for you in the long haul.

Long-term, It's a 'nothing' routine.
You have a strong opinion on what I shouldn't do, I am interested in reading about what you think I should do to move forward, with my current goals in mind.
Admittedly, I am at a place right now where I am not looking at a long term muscle and strength gain program so much as I am looking for a short term (2-4 month) routine to give me a break from chasing numbers on a spreedsheet and assist me with maintaining as I lose weight. This may or may not be something that you have any interest in.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote