Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I used to try to do my own routines, but I've grown accustomed over the past few years to doing the routines of those bigger and stronger than myself.
In my opinion, this is ultimately self-defeating and one of the key things I dislike tremendously about 5/3/1.

By it's very nature, and that of these types of routines, it's highly prescriptive and ends up teaching you very little about what is effective training after 5/3/1. Teaching you very little about a proper yearly plan, and the infrequent nature of the lifts leaves you with poor weekly conditioning and ripe for injuries.

I'm sure people reading this will want to refute the point. That's fine. This isn't something I want to even argue at this point since one or two examples and a convincing argument aren't going to change my mind. I've seen this pattern played out far too many times. If something other than a convincing argument comes along, like a consistent string of good long-term results, then I will consider changing my mind on it. For now I'll stick to my prior opinion on it.

It's basically the McDonald's of routines out there, might be convenient and acceptable in the short-term but it is no good for you in the long haul.

Long-term, It's a 'nothing' routine.

Last edited by Fazc; 01-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote