Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

So, as I mentioned in the thread about overhead pressing your bodyweight, I've never pushed overhead pressing in my lifting. My shoulders aren't so great, and my shoulders have responded well to higher reps for size. But after realizing that my overhead press is lagging behind many others who are similiar to myself in both size and strength, I think it's time to give the overhead press more of my time and effort.

I was going to take today off because I'm planning to test my deadlift max tomorrow, but I decided to get some overhead pressing in. I don't think it'll detract from my deadlift tomorrow, and I hate taking days off anyways.

Overhead press-
45x8 (right shoulder hurts quite a bit, especially at the bottom of the lift)
95x5
115x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x5
135x5

Overhead press with fat gripz-
95x12
95x12

I hate shoulder pumps. They don't feel good to me. My shoulders got such a hard pump that just having my arms hang at my sides hurt my shoulders. I had to hang my arms on the bar to let the pump fade between sets. Even though I don't LIKE the pump, I know it means that I'm getting good work in, so it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I did heavy triceps work yesterday. When you that into consideration, along with a reminder that this is a lift with which I've never tried heavy loading before, I'm happy with this session. Considering how my pressing strength has increased as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if I can get 185 fairly soon if I put effort into this movement, which I plan to do.

I knew my shoulders were strong. I've used upwards of 75lb dumbells for standing overhead press, and I NEVER skimp on bottom ROM like most do. I just need to groove the movement and get some heavy lifting in and I'm sure the PR's will come fast.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote