BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I'm hesitant to post this Josh, but I hope you take it in the right way. First priority should be to fix what is causing you to hurt yourself. From your comments in the Dip thread I'm not sure if you're willing to do that, but that's what you need to do for long-term progress.

I said it then and I'll say it again now, you can't ignore shit which is hurting you. The fact that you were hurt on such a fundamental exercise as the Deadlift indicates something seriously amiss. It exposes a weakness in your body, that could be strength/flexibility or just plain bad form. It needs to be fixed, not ignored or it will rear it's head on other exercises as well.

I'm willing to bet some foundational work on the Squat and Deadlift is in order.

There I said it, take from that what you will!
Fazc, you mother fu**er. Just kidding man. I appreciate your feed back.
I agree with you completely. There is something wrong here and I do not think it should be ignored. I am willing and able to address the issue.

A little background:
In late 2010 I injured my lower back pretty bad. It was extremely painful. I experienced sciatica. I was off work for a little over a week. My piece of crap doctor at the time refused to do an MRI, instead opted to treat it with pills. It was 2 months before it was even remotely back to normal.
In december 2011 I was able to pull 405 for 2 triples. From that point my deadlift regressed until I completely reset the weight way back and started 5/3/1 in the first quarter of 2012.
In the last 2 or 3 months, I have "tweaked" my back on at least 3 occasions that I can think of deadlifting. This is after a reset I believe 3 cycles ago.
The last time I hurt myself it occurred with a lower weight set. Something like 225 I believe. I can give specifics weights and dates, I will just have to look back in my log.
I actually happened to grab a video of the deadlift session where the injury last occurred, if anyone would like to see it.

I consulted with a member of the forum regarding the latest injury. He watched the video and thought my form was fine. It was decided, because of the reoccurring nature of the injury I probably needed to take a month or so off of deadlifting.
That is the reason I am currently not performing the lift. I am not avoiding it necessarily as I am giving my back time to heal up. I have every intention of deadlifting again in the next 4-8 weeks.
On top of that I intend to begin performing bodyweight Good mornings to help with the rehabilitation process, a la Bill Starr.

Along with that, I am willing and appreciative of any deadlift form critique, programming suggestions and lower back assistance/rehab exercises that anyone may suggest.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for posting.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote