View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #2773
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJohn View Post
Hello All, I'm new to strength training but have been lifting weights on and off for about 20 years. I'm 47 with two boys ages 13 and 14. We're all on the scrawny side and I'm looking to change that.

I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs and am currently doing a 5x5 type of program. I know it's probably not ideal so I'll start reading through the workouts for something better.

Day 1
-Leg Press (hoping to switch to squats soon) super set with Power Cleans or overhead presses
-EZ bar curls super set with seated calf raises
Day 2
Off, light cardio and stretching, yoga (seems to really help my squat)
Day 3
-bench press super set with stiff leg dead lifts or barbell rows
-dips super set with weighted sit ups or leg raises
Day 4
Off, light cardio and stretching, yoga
Repeat

I get 3 workouts in per week and do a lot of outdoor cardio on weekends.

On the first super sets of each day I progressively add weight but keep the reps at 5 per set with only the last two sets being near max.

The second super sets are higher rep add on type sets to near failure but higher reps, like 10 plus

I'm currently benching 225 x 5, leg pressing 560 x 5, over head pressing 135 x 5 and dead lifting 185 x 5 on my max sets.

I would like to increase my strength on core lifts especially squats, dead lifts and cleans. I'm coming off the leg press soon, I found I couldn't squat properly after not doing them for years and finding my lower body flexibility too poor to allow proper form. Hence the yoga classes which I know aren't too manly but they've really helped my knees and hips for heavy lower body lifts.

My boys also want to lift with me so I'm hoping to design a program we can all follow.

So is my current routine on the right track?
Are my boys at 13 and 14 too young to start a 5x5 type program?

I'm looking forward to focusing my workouts and gaining knowledge on strength training through all of the info here.

John
Welcome to the forum John.

I train teen powerlifters. My recommendation is to get them on a bodyweight and moderate dumbbell routine for about 6 months first.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."