Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
I thought it might be like not doing a full rep on the bench press or not squatting to parallel.Obviously I was wrong about this one
Partial lifts are actually good on all three lifts, to be honest, depending on your level of experience and your current weaknesses. I love rack pulls. I even used really high rack pulls (I only moved the bar a few inches to lock out) to train my grip and get used to holding super heavy weights. I would pull well over my max, then hold it for as long as possible.

As for partial squats, I love doing them from pins. I'd set the bar so it was about 6 inches above where it would be for parallel, then get underneath and push the sucker up. I was able to work up to weights upwards of 80lb over my squatting max, and it hit my quads HARD. It also have me a chance to work on different spine angles to see what worked best to move serious weights.

As for partial bench press, just go to youtube and look up board presses. They are awesome for getting used to holding heavy weights and building up both triceps and lockout strength.

Of course, if you're weak or have form issues holding you back, partial lifts are pretty useless. You need to be fairly strong before you'll really get anything out of partials.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote